DR. WILLIAM L. & ETHEL SAYE HOME
This bungalow was built around 1918 and has had several owners, but none more important to Frisco history than Dr. William L. Saye, who lived in the home from 1933 until his death in 1952. At that time, he was the only doctor in town. Dr. Saye came to Frisco about 1909 making house calls day and night in all kinds of weather, often in his big Packard automobile. He saw patients at Palace Drug on Main Street until it was destroyed in the fire of 1922. Saye then practiced at Curtsinger Drug. A country doctor, he did it all - from birth to death. When he was not seeing patients, he sat at an alabaster-topped table at Curtsinger’s and enjoyed his favorite drink, “fountain coke.” He was a visionary, an avid reader, poet, and a civic-minded planner. After the devastating fire of 1922, Dr. Saye passed his hat on Main Street to raise the $90 needed to purchase an electric alert siren that was in use for almost 60 years until it was silenced due to the 911 system. He dreamed of a road from McKinney to Fort Worth and often drew highway designs on the alabaster tabletop at Curtsinger’s. Working with his friend, Sam Rayburn, and the Texas Highway Commission, that road was built. Today we know it as Highway 121/Sam Rayburn Tollway. Dr. Saye and his wife Ethel were both involved with the Masonic Lodge and Order of Eastern Star, respectively.
Feel free to contact us for more details!